Monte Vista Water District
Water Use Efficiency Specialist
COME JOIN OUR TEAM
Monte Vista Water District, a county water district formed in 1927, located in western San Bernardino County, provides retail and wholesale water services to a population of over 133,480 in the communities of Montclair, Chino Hills, and portions of Chino. The District presently has approximately 12,000 metered retail connections that serve residential, commercial, industrial, institutional, landscape irrigation, and agricultural uses.
The District is dedicated to quality, service and innovation to its communities and employees. Our mission statement guides our decisions and actions to reflect our commitment to provide high quality water service while ensuring fiscal responsibility, ethical conduct, and environmental stewardship. We are proud to have 38 employees that exemplify our core values and provide outstanding service.
Monte Vista Water District is currently seeking a motivated professional to fill this entry-level classification in the Community Affairs series. This position will be responsible for developing and implementing the District’s water use efficiency and conservation programs and activities as well as community education and outreach programs. This individual will initially work under supervision as they learn to design and implement assigned programs. With experience, incumbents are expected to perform the full range of programmatic responsibilities and work independently in exercising judgement and initiative.
Examples of Responsibilities
- Develops and implements public outreach activities including meetings, workshops, tours, community events, and programs to further District objectives and improve community relations.
- Plans, develops, and implements public awareness, information, or community involvement programs or internal communication projects; designs, develops, and creates supporting materials, including flyers, brochures, newsletters, fact sheets, bill inserts, and other print or social media graphics.
- Develops, plans, organizes, and implements water use efficiency programs that support the District’s best practices for residential water audits, residential device retrofits, large landscape audits, rebates for water efficient devices and appliances, and water use efficiency and water waste prohibition ordinances.
- Coordinates resources for customer assistance and direct install programs, including serving as liaison between the customer, partner agencies, and the vendor; tracks customer information, program performance, and overall progress to achieve program goals; reports on progress.
- Performs a variety of customer service functions related to water efficiency; responds to inquiries in writing or on the phone about programs; advises customers on methods and techniques to achieve water use efficiency and conservation goals; serves as the primary responder to water efficiency-related phone calls, emails, and walk-in customer inquiries.
- Prepares project budgets; tracks and monitors project and program costs; learns procedures for procurement of materials and services required for District programs.
- Plans and implements public outreach activities during critical water supply periods, water leak incidents, flood, and other emergencies as needed.
- Researches, develops, and implements program specific curriculum and educational support materials for water education programs in the classroom and outdoor settings that align with California State Science Standards.
- Designs, promotes, and implements staff development workshops for educators, to train, support, and prepare them for delivering water-related education curriculum and classroom activities.
- Makes presentations to the committees, community, schools, individual customers, and other groups regarding water use efficiency and conservation issues; coordinates and participates in water awareness education; represents the District at community engagement and public relations functions.
- Represents the District on water use efficiency and education activities at the regional level; attends and participates in local and regional committees led by other agencies such as Chino Basin Water Conservation District, Inland Empire Utilities Agency, and Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.
Education and Experience
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- A high school diploma or satisfactory equivalent and college level course work in water-related science, environmental studies, communications, journalism, public relations, marketing, or a related field; and one (1) year of experience in water use efficiency and conservation programs, teaching methods consistent with state-wide educational standards, community relations, or outreach activities.
- Ability to speak and write fluently in Spanish is highly desirable.
Licenses and Certifications
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record.
Hours and Location
Monte Vista Water District is open to the public from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday – Friday. We are located at 10575 Central Ave., Montclair, CA 91763.
A District application is required and can be completed here, or can be obtained in person at our business address: Monte Vista Water District, 10575 Central Avenue, Montclair, CA 91763. A full job description is available here and at the District office.
Assistance for Individuals with Disabilities
MVWD does not discriminate on the basis of disability. If you have a disability and need an accommodation to participate in the application, testing, or interview process, please notify Human Resources immediately. MVWD is an equal opportunity employer.
Application deadline: February 27, 2024, at 5:00pm. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.