Union Sanitary District
Senior Process Engineer
Exciting Career Opportunity: Senior Process Engineer at Union Sanitary District
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Salary: Competitive – $12,036 to $15,797 monthly ($144,432 – $189,567 annually)
Are you ready to make an impact while protecting the beautiful San Francisco Bay? Union Sanitary District (USD) is looking for a Senior Process Engineer to join our dynamic Research and Support Team (RST) within the Treatment and Disposal Workgroup.
Why Join USD?
At USD, we’re not just an organization; we’re a community that cares deeply about the environment and serving our residents. We’re embarking on an exciting $500 million plant renovation project to upgrade our treatment facility to biological nutrient removal, and we want you to be a part of our transformative journey.
About Union Sanitary District
USD is a trailblazing special district renowned for providing top-notch wastewater collection, treatment, and disposal services in the San Francisco Bay Area. With over a century of service to the communities of Fremont, Newark, and Union City, we’re committed to safeguarding the region’s natural treasures.
Our team of 144 dedicated professionals operates round the clock, ensuring that our permitted 33 million gallon per day wastewater treatment plant continues to thrive. We serve 356,000 residents and over 3,000 commercial and industrial parcels, making a significant impact on the local ecosystem.
USD offers a comprehensive benefits package, including:
CalPERS retirement plan.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Deferred compensation matching.
- Generous leave policies, including 12 paid holidays.
- Disability and life insurance.
- Alternative work week schedule.
- Educational reimbursement and loan programs.
Examples of Duties
As a Senior Process Engineer at USD, you’ll be at the forefront of pioneering projects, working on challenging and innovative tasks. Your contributions will include:
- Conducting research studies to assess treatment plant performance and presenting findings to key stakeholders.
- Performing essential process engineering calculations, including hydraulic and mass loading calculations.
- Leading process and energy research projects to drive efficiency and sustainability.
- Supporting the transition to our new facilities and developing operational procedures.
- Recommending improvements to increase efficiency, performing cost-benefit analyses.
- Collaborating with operations to troubleshoot plant issues, document investigations, and provide recommendations.
- Utilizing computer modeling.
- Conducting process optimization studies.
- Exploring energy efficiency initiatives and grant opportunities.
- Preparing technical and regulatory reports for external agencies.
- Answering process related phone calls from District staff when available.
(For the complete job description, click here.)
We’re seeking candidates with a blend of education, experience, and skills that make you a perfect fit for this role:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or environmental engineering or a related field from an ABET-accredited institution.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in process engineering for wastewater treatment systems and pumping facilities.
- Plant operation experience is highly desirable.
- Energy management expertise is a significant plus.
- Advanced degrees may be considered for up to three years of required experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Expertise in wastewater treatment processes, regulatory requirements, and engineering principles.
- Proficiency in engineering, mathematics, economics, and statistical analysis.
- Strong grasp of project management and safety standards.
- Ability to analyze complex data, draw conclusions, and devise effective solutions.
- Skill in preparing clear and concise reports.
- Proficiency in inspecting and identifying operational issues.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills.
Licenses, Certificates, or Credentials:
- California Professional Engineer registration is required.
- Valid Class C California driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record.
- California SWRCB Wastewater Operator Certificate is highly desirable.
- Physical fitness to perform essential job duties.
Join Our Team
If you’re ready to embark on a rewarding journey with Union Sanitary District, apply now at Job Opportunities – Union Sanitary District (ca.gov). Please include your current resume.
- Virtual Qualifications Appraisal Interview: Thursday, 12/7/2023.
- Finalist Interviews: Tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, 12/13/2023.
Don’t miss the opportunity to be part of an organization that truly makes a difference in the community. Apply today and help us build a greener, cleaner future!
You will be contacted regarding all phases of this recruitment via email, so please check your inbox for correspondence regarding next steps and results throughout the exam process. Please ensure that the email address on your application is correct and current before submitting your application.
Before appointment to the position the candidate must pass a criminal background check including reference checks, Live Scan, and DMV clearance.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Union Sanitary District is committed to promoting workforce diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Disaster Service Worker:
Employees of Union Sanitary District are, by state and federal law, Disaster Service Workers. In the event of a declaration of emergency, any employee may be assigned activities which promote the protection of public health and safety or the preservation of lives and property either at the District or within the local, or your own community.
If you require assistance or accommodations during the application or selection process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.
Join USD and help us shape the future of wastewater treatment while making a positive impact on the environment and the community. Apply today!