City of Oceanside
Senior Civil Engineer – Capital Improvement Projects
$1.74 per hour certification pay for Professional Engineer
The Water Utilities Department is currently conducting a salary and compensation study to maintain standing as a regionally competitive water and wastewater employer. The results of this study may impact compensation rates in fiscal year 2024/25.
About Oceanside’s Water Utilities Department & Our Capital Improvements Projects
The City of Oceanside is accepting applications for the position of Senior Civil Engineer in the Capital Improvements and Engineering Division.
Oceanside’s Water Utility is an innovative and forward-looking organization whose goal it is to ensure ongoing access to safe, affordable drinking water and sanitary wastewater management by maintaining top talent, resource resiliency, dependability, and system efficiency.
The City’s Water & Wastewater Utility’s Engineering Division is responsible for overseeing capital infrastructure related to all aspects of water, sewer, and recycled water with a budget of approximately $75 million for fiscal year 2023/24. Many of the ongoing capital projects look to grow and modernize a civil infrastructure portfolio that leverages new technologies and adapts to changing regulations, including an ongoing focus on bolstering local water supply in the scarce California water environment. Another major ongoing project is the exciting Progressive Design Build (PDB) which seeks to optimize flow within the wastewater system as a whole.
About Our System
The Oceanside Water Utilities Department owns and operates:
two wastewater treatment plants – the La Salina Plant is scheduled for decommission one water treatment plant
one recycled water treatment plant
one advanced water purification facility – Pure Water Oceanside!
one groundwater purification facility
dozens of booster pump stations and lift stations
hundreds of miles of water and wastewater pipelines
and 12 reservoirs
About the position
The Water Utilities Engineering Division is seeking a creative problem-solver who finds value in developing our system within the increasingly modernizing water and wastewater industry. The ideal candidate is someone who can supervise, coordinate, and manage capital improvement projects for the City’s water utility system.
You should be excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Serve as a primary project manager for vertical & horizontal capital improvements
- Help guide our system’s future by reviewing and approving engineering design, plans, contract documents, agreements, cost estimates, and technical studies specifications
- Keep us in compliance with federal & state guidelines by staying current on specifications
- Represent our department to the City & external partners by preparing & managing requests for qualifications, request for proposals, staff reports, & other communications
- Keep the public informed of our plans by presenting to commissions, community groups, business organizations, and the City Council
- Mediate disputes between the City, contractors, the public, and developers and help drive resolutions that work
Experience and Training
Experience: Six years of increasingly responsible civil engineering experience including two years of supervisory responsibility.
Training: Equivalent to a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university in civil engineering or a related field.
A current, or ability to obtain, a valid, California driver’s license.
Possession of registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of California.
Applications are being accepted on a continuous basis. Apply directly on the City of Oceanside’s Employment Opportunities Page