County of San Diego
LUEG Program Manager (Utility Manager - Wastewater Management Program)
LUEG Program Manager 23031508U(Working title: Utility Manager – Wastewater Management Program)
The County of San Diego Department of Public Works (DPW) is seeking applications and résumés from qualified individuals for Utility Manager (LUEG Program Manager). The selected candidate will provide executive level leadership and oversight and be responsible for administration, engineering and planning, and operation and maintenance of San Diego County Sanitation District, Campo Water District, and Live Oaks Springs Water System. The selected candidate will also provide briefings and presentations to representatives of the County Board of Supervisors, Chief Administrative Officer, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer, and outside agencies and private entities; provide direct supervision over program managers; and perform fiscal management and grant administration duties.
Applicants must possess the following: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or certified equivalency for foreign studies, AND, five (5) years of experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the classification which must include two (2) years of management or supervision. OR, a combination of experience and/or education as stated above. Notes: A master’s degree or higher degree may substitute for a total of one year. In order for education to substitute for work experience as indicated above, college level coursework must demonstrate progress toward a degree and may be substituted on a year-for-year basis. Qualifying experience will include CAO Staff Officer or Project Manager experience that involves leading projects.
***A Bachelors degree with major course work in public administration, business administration, public policy, engineering, chemistry, finance or a field related and ten (10) years of management or administrative experience in a public agency working with executive management, and current registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of California is highly desirable.
Apply online at https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/hr/; select Current Job Postings, Job Number 23031508U.
The ideal candidate will possess a professional history that demonstrates the following leadership competencies and attributes:
- Experience directing overall operation of water and sewerage system(s), including sewage pump stations, collection systems, overflow retention facilities and wastewater treatment plants
- Thorough knowledge of local, state, and Federal regulations, laws, and codes for water and sewerage system operation and management
- Management or supervisory experience over three to five operational managers and supervisors
- Experience with general budget and financial management concepts, including establishing, monitoring, and tracking program budgets; cost recovery processes; and rate setting management and administration for a public utility
- Knowledge of concepts, principles, and practices of policy and procedure development and implementation
- Experience in a public agency or related private organization with project management, design, construction, and contracting for large complex public works infrastructure projects
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high profile, and demanding environment
- Skilled in strategic planning, project management, and outcome-based performance management.
- Ability to build, lead, and motivate high performing teams to be accountable; support concurrent complex projects; initiate change; and achieve challenging goals
- Organizational and political awareness of issues, and ability to build consensus and clearly communicate with stakeholders at all levels in verbal and written form.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess current registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of California; possession of relevant State of California water or wastewater certifications; and certification as a Project Management Professional.