Orange County Sanitation District
Instrumentation Technician I
Orange County Sanitation District
Instrumentation Technician I
$41.84 – $50.82 Hourly
Orange County Sanitation District, CA
Operations & Maintenance
Plant 2 Maintenance
2/15/2024 5:00 PM Pacific
What do you value in your next job?
At the Orange County Sanitation District our Core Values form the framework of our organization and reinforce our professional work ethic. If the following values ring true with you, we’d love to invite you to explore our career opportunities further.
Integrity, Inclusion, Honesty, and Respect
We aspire to the highest degree of integrity, inclusion, honesty, and respect in our interaction with each other, our suppliers, our customers, and our community. We strive to demonstrate these values in our actions, commitments, and service.
Leadership, Teamwork, and Problem Solving
We lead by example, acknowledging the value of our resources and using them wisely to achieve our mission. We strive to reach OC San goals through cooperative efforts and collaboration with each other and our constituencies. We work to solve problems in a creative, cost-effective, and safe manner, and we acknowledge team and individual efforts.
Customer Service, Transparency, and Accountability
We are committed to acting in a timely, accurate, accessible, and transparent manner through excellent customer service. We are committed to act in the best interest of our internal and external stakeholders.
Resiliency, Innovation, and Learning
We continuously develop ourselves, enhancing our talents, skills, and abilities. We recognize that only through personal growth and development will we progress as an agency and as individuals.
We are committed to providing a safe work environment. We will demonstrate leadership, promote individual accountability, and participate actively in the advancement of our health and safety practices.
OC San is currently looking to fill the role of an Instrumentation Technician I.
Under supervision, the Instrumentation Technician I performs a variety of assignments in the installation, maintenance, and calibration, of process control instrumentation and related equipment; implements additions or modifications of control systems, knowledge of configuration/programming and networking of instrument devices, configuration/programming and networking of programmable logic controller systems; knowledge of engine controls, emissions, governor controls, exciter, engine/generator monitoring; troubleshoots and repairs electrical, electronic, microprocessor-based, pneumatic, and mechanical process control components; identifies, isolates, and diagnoses failures using various types of test equipment; interprets schematic and loop drawings and coordinates repairs with other divisions as necessary. Other duties include maintaining and updating all applicable documents, including software and application programs, instrumentation loop drawings, piping and instrument drawings (P&ID’s) and electrical ladder schematics; and troubleshooting process control computer equipment.
Qualifications & Requirements
- High school diploma or G.E.D. supplemented by specialized training such as relevant trade school in instrumentation technology or a related field.
- Two (2) years of experience maintaining, calibrating, installing, troubleshooting, and repairing electrical, pneumatic, and mechanical process control instruments.
- Must possess a valid California Class C Driver’s License.
- Knowledge of instrumentation and controls (I&C) systems’ calibration and maintenance with conventional/best-practice/industry-standard methods, tools, equipment, and safety procedures.
- Effective and efficient troubleshooting and repair skills with extensive experience in I&C systems related to wastewater/chemical processing, electrical power generation with internal combustion engines, generators, and emissions monitoring, PLC/SCADA/DCS systems, and industrial control networking systems.
- Create, process, and review field data and other technical documentation to produce reports/analyses, proficiently use computer applications, such as MS Outlook, MS Excel, MS Word, and IBM Maximo, and communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
Recruitment & Selection Process
Apply online at: www.ocsan.gov/jobs
APPLICATION FILING DEADLINE: Thursday, February 15th, 2024; 5:00 P.M.
(or until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received)
Hiring Salary Range: $41.84 – 46.11/Hour*
*(starting salary will be within this range based upon qualifications)
- Mobility to work in and around wastewater treatment plants, pump/lift stations, and related utility systems and facilities; to sit, stand, and walk on level, uneven, or slippery surfaces; frequently reach, twist, turn, kneel, bend, stoop, squat, crouch, grasp, and make repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties; to climb and descend ladders, to operate varied hand and power tools and equipment, and to operate a motor vehicle and visit various OC San sites, projects, and/or meetings.
- Perform moderate to heavy physical work; to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects averaging a weight of 51 pounds or heavier weights, in all cases with the use of proper equipment and/or assistance from other staff.
- Possible entry into confined spaces and the use of confined entry equipment and protective safety equipment.
- Vision to inspect and operate equipment.
- Field work requiring frequent walking in operational areas to identify problems or hazards.
- Finger dexterity to operate and repair tools and equipment.
- Field work in and around facilities with exposure to loud noise levels, cold and hot temperatures, inclement weather conditions, road hazards, vibration, confining workspace, heights, chemicals, mechanical and/or electrical hazards, hazardous physical substances and fumes, dust, and air contaminants.
- Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
- May be required to work extended hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays when necessary.
- Standby and Call Back: Employees in this classification may be required to participate in standby duty and are subject to call back, which may include nights, weekends and 24-hour emergency call out with little or no notice. Any employee designated to serve on standby, or report to an emergency, and refuses to do such, shall be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination.
- Probationary Period: All OC San employees, except classifications considered “at-will”, are subject to the probationary period provisions as specified in the applicable Memorandum of Understanding, policies, and/or resolutions. Employees who have not yet successfully completed their initial probationary period serve “at-will” and may be released from employment without cause or recourse to any appeal or grievance procedures.
- Pre-Employment: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of OC San’s pre-employment process, which includes a background investigation, a physical examination, and a drug screen.
- Work Location Assignment: Employees will be assigned to a work location based on business needs which may be located at any/all of OC San locations; this work location may be changed at any time.
Disaster Service Workers:
All Orange County Sanitation District employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the Orange County Sanitation District requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
For the full range of duties, responsibilities, and essential job functions please review the Classification Specification for this position found on our website.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate, through their application materials, that they meet the minimum requirements as outlined in the job announcement and class specification to receive further consideration. However, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview. All properly completed applications will be reviewed, and the most appropriately qualified individuals will be invited to continue in the selection process.
False statements may be cause for disqualification, removal from the eligible list, or discharge from employment. All statements made on applications are subject to investigation and verification.
To ensure your application is accurate and complete, please review the Job Application Guide.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of OC San’s pre-employment process, which includes a background investigation and a physical examination. For some positions, this may include a drug screen. False statements may be cause for disqualification, removal from the eligible list, or discharge from employment. All statements made on applications are subject to investigation and verification.
Reference Checks will be conducted by OC San to verify employment related information for all potential employees once a contingent job offer is made during the background investigation process. This is done to ensure that individuals who join OC San are well qualified and have a strong potential to be successful in their employment. The extent of the inquiry will depend on the position being applied for, but will at least include:
- Verification/Reference from current and past employers
- Confirmation of necessary licenses, certificates, and degrees.
Please have all necessary documentation ready. Additional inquiries may be necessary depending on the position for which you are applying. Human Resources will also schedule a post-offer physical examination once a job offer has been made.
OC San only accepts applications submitted via our online application system. Applications submitted via mail, fax or email will not be accepted.
The provisions of this announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained in this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice.