San Diego County Water Authority
Engineering Technician I/II (Design Services)
Engineering Technician I: $35.76 – $48.10 per hour ($74,387.04 – $100,041.76 annual)
Engineering Technician II: $39.48 – $53.09 per hour ($82,108.00 – $110,427.20 annual)
This position may be filled at either level, depending on candidate qualifications
The Engineering Technician I/II performs design drafter work in support of capital improvement projects. Specific work may include reviewing technical drawings, performing manual and computer-aided drafting, developing civil and mechanical engineering design drawings, and incorporating record changes to existing drawings. Depending on the candidate’s qualifications and abilities for this position, duties may include but will not be limited to the following:
- Provides support for professional and technical engineering staff; assists in the preliminary design and preparation of engineering and right-of-way plans, sketches, layouts, graphic displays, exhibits, maps and plans for water conveyance facilities.
- Reviews water facilities plans and specifications for conformance with Authority standards.
- Provides administrative support for the assembly, printing and distribution of contract documents pertaining to engineering design and facility construction projects, in accordance with the Authority’s procedures manual.
- Drafts maps, charts, diagrams and engineering tables using manual or computer-aided drafting techniques; performs routine calculations of water generation, hydraulics and other computations; checks slopes and elevations for conformance with Authority requirements; revises construction drawings and record drawings as directed.
- Prepares manual and computer-aided graphic designs, maps and illustrations, including displays and slides.
- Performs field inspection of Authority planning, design and construction projects for capital improvements and repair/replacement of existing facilities.
The ideal candidate will be technically savy, have experience with Autodesk Civil 3D, learns quickly, and is able to seek out resources to accomplish tasks accurately. This person will work in a team environment to perform technical engineering drafting and office tasks. The ideal candidate is one who conducts their work in a positive, productive, and supportive manner with others to achieve the organization’s project or program goals, and responds to internal and external customers in a timely, effective, and professional manner. The successful candidate cooperates with fellow employees and contractors, maintains a positive outlook, acts respectfully towards others, and behaves or reacts in a professional manner in accordance with the Water Authority’s standards, vision, and values.
Optional Hybrid Work Schedule:
The Water Authority has embraced a hybrid work schedule to offer employees flexibility and work-life balance. An option to telework up to 2 days per week and work onsite 3 days per week is available for this position. Employees authorized to telework must be able to report to Water Authority facilities as needed, depending on the operational needs of the department and/or area of assignment. Additionally, employees assigned to work at the Kearny Mesa office work a 9/80 schedule, where the entire facility is closed every other Friday. While onboarding and training, the successful candidate may be required to work primarily onsite before establishing a hybrid work schedule.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please submit an employment application and supplemental questionnaire by Tuesday, February 13, 2024, at 5:30 p.m. Apply online at www.sdcwa.org/careers.