Southern California Edison
Catalina Water & Gas System Mechanic
Join the Clean Energy Revolution
Become a Water & Gas System Mechanic (9668) at Southern California Edison (SCE) and build a better tomorrow. In this job, you’ll work alone, with crew, or direct work of others assisting with operation of water pumping, storage, transmission and distribution systems. Assists with the installation, maintenance, and repair of water and gas system mains, services, and facilities. Supports the daily operation of Desalination Plant II that provides potable water for the City of Avalon.
As a Water & Gas System Mechanic, your work will provide potable water and gas throughout the City of Avalon and surrounding island supporting a year-round population of 4500 residents and over 1 million tourists annually. Are you ready to take on the challenge to help us build the future?
A day in the life – Get ready to think big, work smart and shine bright!
Water System duties:
· Regulates pumping, storage, transfer, and chlorination of water according to American Water Works Association (AWWA) and the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) standards.
· Inspects, installs, maintains, and repairs water wells, pumps, tanks, filters, lines, meters, valves, chlorinators, and related equipment.
· Inspects and maintain two dams, and 11 storage facilities.
· Checks operation of meters, takes meter readings and changes charts.
· Investigates customer inquiries and takes or recommends action to restore service to normal operations.
Gas System duties:
· Inspects, installs, maintains and repairs gas transmission and distribution lines, valves, meters, pressure regulators and related equipment.
· Tests installed lines for leakage. Takes sample as needed.
· Turns customer service off or on to perform work projects.
· Relights gas pilot lights to restore service.
· Operates trucks; light tractors, backhoe, skip loader, air compressor, jackhammer and tampers; portable arc and gas cutting and welding equipment; pipe cutting, threading and flaring tools; hoists, winches and similar tools or equipment used in field work.
· Also uses shop tools and machines such as power saw, drill press, grinders and other related equipment as needed.
· Mixes, places and finishes concrete or asphalt to replace sidewalks, driveways, or roadways removed for construction projects. Installs, maintains, and repairs plumbing and related equipment in Company owned structures and facilities.
· Assists Electrical Crew or Plant Operating and Maintenance Crew on maintenance, overhaul or construction projects as required.
Qualifications – External
· Valid California Class C Driver’s License
· 2 or more years experience as a Water Treatment Operator or Water Distribution Operator.
· Possess a current California SWRCB Grade II Distribution certificate along with a California SWRCB Grade II Treatment certificate.
· Must be able to work overtime/ weekends on short notice.
· Must be able to work a set work schedule of 6:00AM – 4:30PM (4/10 work schedule).
· This position will be located on Catalina Island. All successful candidates must relocate to or reside on Catalina.
· The knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job are of a level comparable with those normally acquired through courses in obtaining a high school education and experience.
· Ability to work from drawings, sketches, specifications, written or oral instructions according to Company Accident Prevention Rules, established codes, and standard practices and perform similar and incidental duties as required.
You should know
· This position’s work mode is on-site. The employee will report to an SCE facility or in the field location. Further details of this work mode will be discussed at the interview stage.
· Visit our Candidate Resource page to get meaningful information related to benefits, perks, resources, testing information, hiring process, and more!
· ** Please Note: This position is located on Catalina Island. Daily commuting from the mainland to Catalina Island is not a viable option. All successful candidates must relocate to or currently reside on Catalina. **
· Relocation may apply to this position.
· This position requires testing and applicants who are identified to continue through the selection process will be invited to test via email. Reference our Information Guides for the following tests: 8180 – Catalina Water & Gas System Mechanic Knowledge test and 4029 Catalina Physical Performance Test. Candidates who have previously passed these assessment(s), in some cases, may not need to retest again for this position.
About Southern California Edison
The people at SCE don’t just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We’re fueling the kind of innovation that’s changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. Join us and create a future with cleaner energy, while providing our customers with the safety and reliability they demand. At SCE, you’ll have a chance to grow personally and professionally, making a real impact in Southern California and around the world.
At SCE, we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
We are committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations at (833) 343-0727.