East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD)
Associate Civil Engineer (Pipeline Infrastructure)
Salary Info: $143,712 – $174,684 Annually, Plus Excellent Benefits + Retirement
Opens online at www.ebmud.com/jobs on Monday, January 15, 2024
Online applications must be received by 4:30 p.m., Friday, February 16, 2024
Internal Reference # 24-014
Advance your career as an Associate Civil Engineer with an industry-leading water and wastewater utility. Reporting to a Senior Civil Engineer, the Associate Civil Engineer is the registered professional engineer level position in the East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) engineering career advancement. The current opening is in the Pipeline Infrastructure Division’s (PID) Pipeline Rebuild Section. This recruitment may be used to fill additional openings in Pipeline Infrastructure Division. Associate Civil Engineers in PID work with a team of pipeline designers, engineers, and other workgroups across EBMUD to complete pipeline designs for new and replacement pipelines to be installed by EBMUD crews or by Contractors.
PID is responsible for managing and implementing pipeline design projects for the renewal and upgrade of EBMUD’s 4,200 miles of distribution and transmission pipelines. This Associate Civil Engineer in Pipeline Rebuild will lead research and innovation focused on pipeline condition assessment and the process of integrating field data into pipeline risk modeling and project selection criteria. Working with a team of pipeline designers and engineers, the selected candidate will manage pipeline design projects and investigations to improve the reliability of our distribution system and the efficiency of our pipeline replacement program. Specific duties will include development of a pipeline condition assessment program, performing design and project management of water distribution pipeline systems and appurtenances, and collaborating with U.C. Berkeley on pipeline related research experiments developed at the Center for Smart Infrastructure. In addition, the selected candidate will participate in Water Research Foundation studies specific to pipeline condition assessment and collaborate with other water utility partners involved in the studies.
Specific responsibilities may include:
• Researching pipeline condition assessment technologies and tools. Preparing data on capabilities of condition assessment tools and writing memos to recommend pilot projects.
• Developing pilot project plans, schedules, and budgets to test various pipeline condition assessment technologies.
• Managing capital projects for water distribution pipeline replacements; preparing reports recommending priorities for system rehabilitation and upgrade projects; developing detailed project scopes, schedules, and budgets while managing projects through the design and construction process.
• Conducting pipeline asset management analyses using ArcGIS or other modelling software, considering various factors including condition, hazards, likelihood of failure and consequence of failure; creating databases and prioritization criteria to rank projects to support master planning.
The salary range is $11,976 per month increasing to $12,575, $13,204, $13,864, and $14,557 after 6, 18, 30, and 42 months, respectively.
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
Any combination of education and experience that has led to the acquisition of the knowledge and abilities indicated above. Typical means of acquiring the essential knowledge and abilities is a combination of training and experience equivalent to:
1. A bachelor’s degree in an ABET–accredited civil, environmental, or closely related engineering curriculum OR a California EIT Certificate.
2. Four years of professional civil or environmental engineering experience (subsequent to obtaining the degree), which is equivalent to two years of experience at EBMUD’s Assistant Engineer level.
3. California registration as a Professional Civil Engineer.
Must possess a valid California driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record. In addition, the incumbent must possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the position including both office and field duties, exposure to chemicals and oxidizing agents, and maintaining a physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, climbing steep stairs and ladders, or walking for prolonged periods of time. Must be willing to work overtime as needed.
Please note: EBMUD requires all employees to provide written proof of vaccination. Those employees with sincerely held religious beliefs or valid medical reasons, as determined by EBMUD, will be exempt from vaccination requirements. Contact EBMUD Human Resources, Employee Services, at (510) 287-0764 for additional questions.
Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com/jobs by 4:30 p.m., Friday, February 16, 2024. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability
Job Hotline: (510) 287-0735